Saturday, August 27, 2005

My First Job

One of the most frequent questions asked to me during my college days was what do you plan to do after graduation(well this is a question asked to every engineering grad.) and my answer was JOB.Some or should i say most of my friends had other plans,some wanted to go to US for doing their MS,some wanted to do MBA and the rest wanted to do their MTech.I guess only a handful of us wanted to go for a job after graduation and i was one of them.Well things changed slightly when i was approaching towards my final year and then i wanted to go to US for further studies and i firmly stuck to my decision.I never knew how to put this across to my father 'coz i was never a good student i was skeptical as to whether my father would actually allow me to go to US for studying and my fears were proven just right.My father didn't allow me to go to US for studying further,this decision of his did hurt me very deeply,i was upset and angry but somehow i saw this as an oppurtunity to come out of my father's shadows.I am a son of a famous father who has excelled in his field and trust me being a son a famous father can be very annoying 'coz you are always compared with your father at each and every step.

I considered this as an god sent oppurtunity to earn a name and respect for myself without depending on my father.I was ready to take up any job(this was before the final year results were announced).I came across an ad in the newspaper from a reputed BPO firm who were willing to take engineering grads. for their technical job of troubleshooting for no.1 manufacturer of PC's in the world called DELL.I guess this is where my association with IT/ITES sector really started.I went for the interview and got selected.When i went to work on the very first day of my job i met some amazing people who soon became my friends for life.I met Melvin,Hema,Mrs.Sharma,Ellie,gorgeous Nidhi and the most sultry siren i have ever come across Savita(i beleive all the synonyms in the dictionary for the word Beautiful would still not suffice to describe her).Let me confess the very first day when i met Savita i thought of her as a big mouthed idiot,which she still is,yet the irony is,that today she is my best friend.There is no one reason as to why i consider her my best friend and we both know it for sure.
We started with the Voice And Accent(VANC) training which was fun but also gruelling for us,i was glad that 80% of our batch was filled with engineers.Some said that we are wasting our talent as engineers and as a matter of fact a job in a call center is still looked down upon.I beg to differ from this mentality 'coz what needs to be considered is that a person is employed and is working hard to earn his livelihood rather than sit at home and whine about unemployement.I respect a call center job equally as i would respect a job in software.

I guess most of my friends who ridiculed me in the beginning followed my footsteps and worked in a call center before moving ahead.One advantage of being in a BPO firm is that you get to meet people from different walks of life and that in turn expands your view of life 'coz you get acquainted to new ideas,new ideologies and so much more.During VANC melvin and i had great fun as we made everyone laugh and i had fun pulling Suraj's leg.VANC was fun though i was grilled 'coz my trainer thought that i have a South Indian Accent(god knows what made him think like that).After graduating out of VANC which in itself was a herculean task 'coz at the end of VANC a test was conducted where each one of us were asked to speak to a US personnel who would rate us depending on various parameters and if we failed then that would mean repeating the whole VANC again which is very boring.I am glad i could get through with 91 % to my credit.

After VANC it was time for Technical Training from our trainer (a attractive busty babe) to whom we all were attracted.She was disciplined and expected the same from us.After two weeks of technical training(which actually is for 4 weeks)i left and joined NIIT were faith had something other plans for me.But even after i left i was in contact with Melvin,Ellie and the most seductive beauty Savita.Melvin and Ellie now work for Hutch and Savita works for a Communication firm at Bangalore as a Testing Engineer,she earns 25k which by industry standards was the best we used to get as freshers.We all went different ways after leaving but those cherished memories will remain in my thoughts forever not just 'coz it was my first job but also 'coz i made some long lasting friends.

1 comment:

Chakram Blogger said...

kya bidu dictionary bhi padta hai kya...! mujhe hindi-english dictionary dede ,, apna hinglish hai english nai samajhta hai ..
sultry,seductive------hmmm!!