Monday, August 22, 2005

My First Project

After finishing my training on Powerbuilder And Oracle and after much rest for about a month it was showtime now.Having moved us to the floor authorities up here didn't waste any time in giving me my first project.A new desk,PC,phone,24*7 internet access and friendly peers weaved an air of excitement for me.My first project was for a internationally renowned investment company in Middle East,this was by far the most prestigious project on the floor and my boss had promised me some roller-coaster ride for the coming months,nervous yet excited,i was ready to start work.

I was accompanied by my friend Ninad,an engineer from Karnataka University,being a Kannada myself,we struck the right cord instantaneously.The first assignment that was given to us proved to be a nightmare for us as we totally screwed up things and also wasted three days doing it,which takes 30min,today for me to complete.My senior was good enough to understand what we were going through and mistakes were bound to happen as we were very naive at that point of time.He was courteous enough to show us some shortcuts and that worked wonders for us.

We then started off with making reports ,something that i abstained from doing even when i was in training,i was reasonably good at coding but not reports.Though being a boring job
we had to complete it to the best of our skills as my grades depended on it .We commited mistakes,faced the music as an obvious consequence.

Even though the job given was not exciting enough it built a base for my future projects that i failed to foresee,i often said to Ninad that this job is boring.Moreover my boss kept on speaking about taking responsibilty whereas the chances for us to take responsibility were meagre.I must honestly confess that my views were not respected and being a junior i couldn't revolt.

Ninad was not very ambitious and was more hell bent towards marketing stream,he was a wrong guy in the wrong place.Even though Ninad was sharp but somehow his interests were different.I guess this was one of the reasons he never opposed or expressed dissatisfaction on the quality of work provided to us.

After two months the core team comprising of three Software Engineers were now ready to fly to Middle East to implement the first phase of the project.After a few days we were released and I was now waiting for another project,something that was would be exciting enough......

No comments: